Sunday 19 December 2010

Arabic 101

Arabic has definitely been an interesting and challenging language to learn. It has a completely different script and sentence structure than Western languages. When I first got here I was teaching myself to write, and I was slowly starting to read signs and menus. You write and read from right to left, except for number they are written/read left to write. Really, I’ve become quite dexterous. Also, they only use the vowels e, u (pronounced eeeeeew), and i. So I’m not Mrs. tObie, I’m Mrs. tUbie (teeeeeeeewbie). Also they don’t have P in their alphabet, so anything with P is replaced with a B. Would you like a Bebsi to drink? Where is your Baba (dad)? I think the native speakers have an extra voice instrument in their throats, because there are such harsh pronunciations on some letters, which is nearly impossible for me to say without looking like I’m dry heaving. Also there are hundreds of different dialects in Arabic, but the Egyptian dialect is the most widely spoken because of the cinema (Cairo is the Hollywood of the Middle East). There are even smaller dialect differences between towns in Egypt, even differences between the West Bank and East Bank. So I learn a new word, and then five minutes later being corrected.
I’m writing these words the way they sound to an English speaker, NOT THE WAY THE ARE CORRECTLY SPELLED. So any Egyptian friends who are reading this, I’m so sorry for butchering your language.
Salaam                                                                    Hello
Salaam Alaykuhm                                                 Hello, peace be with you
Ma’Salaama                                                         Goodbye
Ahlwa                                                        yes (also naa’m, but not in the same context)
 La’a                                                                           No
Shukran                                                                  Thank you
Afwan                                                                        You’re welcome
Lo Simaht/lo simahti                                                Excuse me (m/f)
Min Fadlak/ min fadlik                                             please (m/f)
Saba al Khayr                                                       Good morning (literal translation            
                                                                              the morning is good)
              ful                                                                (the response)-flower
                  Asal                                                           honey
                  Noor                                                          new
                  Helwa                                                       sweet/nicel about
                  Lebon                                                     milk
Dispa al Khayr                                                        goodnight
So in the morning when I pass people on the streets they will say Saba al Khayr, and my response is Saba al ful. I don’t believe there is a word for good afternoon, so you say saba al khayr until about 5 in the evening, till you switch over to Mesa al khayr.
Kay Falhad                                                        how was your day?
Kulu tamom                                                      everything fine?
Kulu kwais                                                            Are you good?
Humdulila                                                            Fine (response)
Mia mia                                                                     perfect                   
Nos nos                                                              50 50. or ok ok
Tabana                                                                   tired
This is generally how people greet each other informally. I say this to the kids a lot. “Enti kwais habibi” translates to “Are you doing O.K my darling”
Ana                                                                          I
Enti                                                                      you
Fi                                                                         Here
This is how you ask for something. When I’m looking for one of my students I say “fi Mohamed” “Is Mohamed here?”or if I walk into a restaurant and I want a soda I say “Fi Bebsi” “Do you have Pepsi?”
Fin                                                       Where?
Bekam                                                 How much?
Malish                                                   Sorry
Mafish                                                   Unfortunately
Mafish mashkila                                 unfortunately not here
Faka                                                   Change (as in money)
You say “fi faka” When you buy something and the person doesn’t give you your change. “Where’s my change”
Hisap                                                         Check in a restaurant
Halas                                                   Stop! Finish! Quit! Enough!
Again, another word I use almost everyday with the kids
Vas                                                enough (used in terms if someone is pouring a drink)
Yalla                                                  Start! Lets go! Hurry up!
Imshi                                                       Get away
Ya zefta                                                  You piece of shit
These are very disrespectful words, so I only use then when necessary. It’s usually followed by some big verbal altercation, or total shock that a foreigner knows this lingo. Thanks Roujy.
Mumkin                                                        If Possible
Mish munkin                                           Not posible
Isma                                                                Listen
Busi                                                               look
Habibi/habibti                           (term of endearment) My darling, my sweet, my love
I love this word. It was one of the first words I learned in Arabic, because I spent a lot of time with a German couple who had been living here for about 6 months, and she called her husband Habibi. I say this to my students a lot and the animals. We finally named our cat Habibi Zefta (my darling piece of shit) you can imagine the reaction from neighbors when we call her in at night.
Helwa                                                        good or nice
Magnun                                                    crazy
Another term I use with the kids. “Enti magnum” “you’re crazy!”
Owi                                                                   a lot
Hena                        here (When looking for little Mohamed, I usually get an answer                
                                  from the kids “Mohamed hena” Mohamed’s here
Ana ishi hena                                           I live here   
Ami                                                                   Uncle
Khti (sounds like Hoti)                                 Sister
 Ahuya                                                           brother
Culture point : In the Quran everyone is considered your brother or sister and should be treated as so. So these are also terms of respect. If I really like someone, say a man that runs the fruit shop, I would call him “ya ami”. If someone on the street was very kind, then I would say “Shokran ya ami” “Thank you my Uncle”  
Also this is interesting because in Tagalog sister is atti and brother is kuyo, I read somewhere that there are a lot of Arabic influences in many other languages.                                                 
Shwia                                                               Slow down
Tini                                                                  more! or again!
Chamel                                                            turn left
Yamen                                                         turn right
A la tool                                                      keep going strait
Mudarisa                                                      Teacher
Madessa areman                                       German school
Amrika                                                              American
“Ana Englizi mudarisa medessa Areman” “Im an English teacher in the German School”  (not grammatically perfect, but they get the point)
Wahashtini                                                   I miss you!

3 comments:

  1. I loooooove this Arabic lesson!

    I want a pronunciation key.

    Aren't the stresses usually on the last/second syllable in Arabic? Like halas would be halAs and yalla would be said yallA? Instead of the American way of stressing the first syllable?

    So, as an American I would say your statement thus: Ana EnglIzi mUdarisa medEssa Areman. But the closer Arabic pronunciation should be: anA EnglizI mudarIsa medEssa AremAn.

    Heeelp me Tobie!! This is so interesting to me. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So as far as I know there isnt really a rule for stresses. Some words have stresses and some dont. Native speakers learn the words, as anyone would learn a language. When I say these words, I have to wind my mouth up like a pitcher does in baseball, and really go for it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So you're saying I need to teach my mouth baseball? Okay.
    Thanks girl!

    ReplyDelete