Sunday 21 November 2010

Typical Luxor



 I've been on holiday for the past week and half, and my writing has taken a back seat to sun bathing, diving, and being an all around beach bum. I will tell you all about my time in the magical land of Dahab, later this week. Meanwhile to occupy you eager eye, here are a few pictures I've snapped in and around Luxor. 
Rose, Roujy, and I making breakfast on a Saturday morning.

Typical Egyptian breakfast; ful (smooshy beans), bread, fruit salad, veggies, boiled eggs, and coffee.

The feluccas (sailboats) making trips up and down the Nile. My house is behind these buildings.

Sheep herding in the fields behind my school. Unfortunately none of these sheep are still on the planet. Last week was the Islamic holiday Eid Sied, and these all got slaughtered for the holy feast. Baaaaa

Fruit and bread stands. Generally a bag of bread is about 1 Egyptian Pound (about 20 cents) and a bunch of bananas, 3 guavas, 2 pomegranates, and a couple apples are about 20 Egyptian Pounds ($4).


Walking through the Souk on my way home from work.
This is one of my neighbors naughty camels. He escaped, and I found him eating all the flowers in another neighbors yard.
I took this walking through the village near my school. This is a puplic water fountain, because of the heat they are placed everywhere. They have metal cups chained to them, so anyone can come get a drink of water on hot days. Here are some of the village kids climbing up to get some water. I love them. Every morning they run up to me waving and screaming "Hello!" "Hello!". I think they are so proud to know this English word, because they scream it until Im out of sight. Sometimes the little boys run off and  pick me back flowers. They know how to play at my heart strings!
This isnt typical, but the Arabic teacher made ful one day at school so we all sat on the ground and ate together.
Here is the view of the Luxor Temple and the Mosk. Im sitting in a cafe having tea and chocolate mousse after work.



Leaving work.


2 comments:

  1. u r amazing... so proud of u...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I cry everytime I read a new blog! You are so inspirational, thank you for being you!

    ReplyDelete