Sunday 10 October 2010

Temples and cats and buffalos...Oh My!!

These children hangout outside my house screaming Tobie....Tobie....TOOOOOBBBBBIIIIIEEE!!! They ask for "Halawayat" (sweets). I give them gummy bears or bananas. Its always trick or treat time here.

This is Ahmed carrying my wood for sandpaper letters, and me cautiously following behind....taking pictures.

Here is my favorite neighborhood hareware store. Organize this!
This is was the stray Egyptian cat my colleagues rescued, and has set up camp on my couch.
Her name began as Aneta
then changed to Katza
then changed to Keg Stand
then changed to Milo
then changed to Nefertiti
then her balls dropped and changed to Ramsey
then to Ghandi because she refuses food unless she gets what she wants
But I just call her Bitch Face.

Lovely Egypt sunset, and sailing down the Nile




Karnak and Luxor Temple

The Mosk in the center of the East Bank
Jamws al'ma (buffalo)
He lives behind the school and I give him dates from a stick-usually gets a chuckle or two from my students. (or maybe they are laughing at my Jamws al'ma immpression)



Some shots from Dendara, and the Temple of Hathor. Hathor being the Goddess of Love, Beauty, and Joy. This temple was built somewhere between 125 BC and 60 BC. This temple has been my favorite so far because of the secret doorways and stairs leading into hidden hallways and rooms. Quite exciting.




This picture is too dark, but Im squeezing through a hole maybe 2 feet by 3 into a secret chamber.




And then the roof.

3 comments:

  1. I think I'll call you Hathor from now on! Goddess of Love, Beauty and Joy.. I love that.

    The pics are great.. thank you so much for sharing. Glad you're having such an amazing time. Stay safe and stay in touch.. Love, Sharla

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tobes, I really like the stuff you post. I am so glad you are having an adventure and life-changing event. Yeah, I am jealous that you are doin' it. Great job!
    Keep writing, you have a gift.

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW is all I have to say to these pictures!

    ReplyDelete